Lynnfield Youth Sports Program, Inc.
Code of Conduct and Discipline Policy
Participation in any activity operated by Lynnfield Youth Sports Program, Inc. (“LYSP”) is a privilege that comes with responsibilities for players, parents/guardians, coaches, and spectators, collectively “Guests.” LYSP has adopted the following Code of Conduct:
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Guests will maintain sporting conduct in the spirit of friendship and fair play.
- Guests will respect officials, coaches, LYSP volunteers, event and facility staff, teammates, opponents, and other spectators, regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
- Guests will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, parent, or other Guest, such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures. LYSP coaches must report any technical fouls or other disciplinary actions administered by third parties against themselves, or any of their players, while participating in LYSP sporting events to the sport specific program Director. The accumulation of two or more technical fouls called in a single season will result in a minimum one game suspension.
- Guests who are not one of the official coaches of a LYSP team will refrain from coaching their children, or other players, during games and practices. Coaching by non-official coaches is defined as providing excessive instructional guidance, from the sidelines or stands, beyond what would be considered expected fan behavior.
- Guests will communicate with each other using clear, respectful language. Coaches will not use negative (non-constructive) criticism when speaking with athletes, nor will they communicate negative criticism about one child to another child. Players and parents/guardians will communicate with coaches regarding attendance, injuries, or any other topics necessary for coaches to successfully and safely perform their coaching duties.
- Physical confrontations are strictly prohibited. Guests who engage in fighting or throwing objects, etc. will be promptly ejected from the event. Any non-participant Guests who attempt to enter the playing surface will also be subject to ejection.
- The consumption and possession, or being under the influence, of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco and/or vapor products is not permitted at LYSP sanctioned events.
- Guests will be respectful of the program and the game and will refrain from posting negative comments and posts on social media.
- Obscene or indecent messages on signs or clothing will not be permitted.
- Guests will comply with requests from event staff regarding event operations and emergency response procedures.
- Guests will comply with all health and safety protocols required by LYSP, the facility hosting the event, and any local, state or federal rules, including COVID-19 protocols.
The LYSP Discipline Committee shall be comprised of the LYSP President, Vice President, and the sport specific program Director and shall be responsible for addressing all disciplinary actions brought to the attention of the Committee. But for extenuating circumstances, the LYSP Discipline Committee shall only consider disciplinary actions stemming from actions occurring while participating in a LYSP sponsored practice, game, or other organizational event, or outside action that directly calls into question the character of an individual, such that their continued involvement with LYSP could create a safety concern. To ensure fairness and reasonable expectations for all involved, the Discipline Committee should make every effort to handle similar situations requiring disciplinary action with similar consequences. The Discipline Committee shall have the authority to suspend, discharge, or otherwise discipline any Guest whose conduct is in violation of the LYSP Code of Conduct.
Any Guest guilty of improper conduct at any game, practice, or other LYSP event will be given a warning, or alternatively, depending on the severity of the conduct, asked to immediately leave the sports facility and be suspended from the following game, pending approval by the LYSP Discipline Committee. This determination may be made by any LYSP Coach or LYSP Board member in attendance at the LYSP event who witnessed the improper conduct.
If any Guest wishes to file a complaint regarding allegations of improper conduct, that Guest must do so in writing addressed to the sport specific program Director, or alternatively to the LYSP President if the complaint specifically pertains to the sport specific program Director. The receiving LYSP party will investigate the allegations and make a determination about what disciplinary action, if any, should be taken.
Guests who are subject to disciplinary action levied by the LYSP Discipline Committee shall have the right to request an appeal hearing before the full Board of Directors. Written requests for appeals must be delivered to a LYSP Director within 24 hours of notification of disciplinary action. Upon receipt of such request, a hearing will be scheduled within 48 hours.